The background
If you see other pages, go to italian site

Chronological development
of the educational courses from 1878 to the present day.

Istituto di Istruzione Superiore Tecnica e Professionale(Vocational and Technical Secondary Education) in Orvieto is an educational aggregation established in 2000. It consists of Istituto Tecnico Commerciale e per Geometri (Technical school for accountants and surveyors), placed in Ciconia campus, and Istituto Professionale di Stato per l’Industria e l’Artigianato (Vocational school ), placed in the historical centre of Orvieto.

The oldest sector of IISTP is, no doubt, the vocational which was established in 1878 as a Certified Technical School.. It boasts a distinguished past: great crafts masters used to teach there, young people used to learn drawing and calligraphy up to 1926 when the school was changed into Royal Laboratory for blacksmiths, mechanics, carpenters and cabinet-makers (vocational school), by Royal Decree n. 996 of 2.5.1925.The institution soon met with fast improvements, setting up specialized laboratories and buying modern machinery. The high number of pupils enrolled to its courses was the obvious consequence of the interest in the different subjects taught there. The Ministry of National Education, then, changed the Royal Laboratory into Royal Technical School – Industrial sector, starting from 1.10.1933, by Royal Decree n. 2056 of 28.9.1933. In 1938 evening courses were started in artistic metal and ceramic working, mosaic work, drawing, as well as in aeroplane modelling, which was very much welcomed by the youth of those days.

In 1964 the school was changed into Istituto Professionale di Stato per l'Industria e l'Artigianato, at first a three-year course aimed at getting a qualification certificate, then a five-year-course aimed at getting a secondary school diploma, well appreciated either by the young generations of the town or the province and the neighbouring regions of Lazio and Tuscany. Later on other courses were started, for Assemblers and TV and Radio Repairers. A new policy, called “Project 92”, improved the pupils’cultural background, still maintaining the high level of laboratory operativeness which so much prestige had brought to this school.

After an educational experience in the field of fashion, the school has today two courses of studies: Electronics and Mechanics. Moreover, starting from school year 2008/2009, a new course will be added to the traditional ones, a course in Tourism and Hotel Management in order to meet the effective local requirements.

The Business School was founded in 1948. Ms. Adelia Carli, secretary of a lawyer, Mr. Domenico Moretti, together with a Lucchini family, who managed a legacy from Francesco Vivona aimed at educating young people, appears to be the initiator of the town business school. The events of the Orvietan school are rather complex. The school, which was then a Certified School, used to be called “Vivona”; it was hosted in a historical building in the town centre, “Palazzo dei Sette”, together with the nearing closing Food-rationing Office. There was strong need for a business school considering the fact that several banks were going to open their branches in town, and a good number of the newly employees came from outside the town of Orvieto (also called “The Rock”). In 1960, the school became a State School aggregated to the Department for Surveyors, previously a branch from Istituto Tecnico Statale “Federico Cesi” in Terni, then a reference school in this field for the province. The new school was then housed in Via Pecorelli, in the town centre. Eventually, in 1963 it became a self-governing body. The two schools stayed together until 1966 in Via Pecorelli and at the former Military District, in the S. Francesco building complex, under the name of “Lorenzo Maitani”. In 1979 the two schools were split again: the School for Surveyors was moved to the newly born school campus in the neighbourhood of Ciconia, under the name of “Angelo da Orvieto” while the Business School remained in the town centre. Later on, the two schools were aggregated again and, under the third millennium, with a final aggregation of the vocational studies, here is the Istituto d’Istruzione Superiore Tecnica e Professionale in Orvieto.

Go to italian web site